What's New

Board Meetings LIVE online: You can now watch the Fire District 1 Board of Commissioners regular meeting live online at 7 p.m. on the first and third Tuesday of each month.
Facility Use Application:  Apply online or download form to request use of Fire District 1 meeting rooms.
National EMS Award: Capt. Maxwell wins top-10 innovator award for EMS checklist program. VIEW VIDEO: Capt. Shaughn Maxwell talks about how Fire District 1 is using innovative EMS checklists to improve patient care.


  • Retirement ceremony to honor Jacobson, Seltz on Saturday, Sept 27

    Snohomish County Fire District 1 Firefighters John Jacobson and Tom Seltz will be honored Saturday, Sept. 27 at a retirement ceremony recognizing their service to the citizens of south Snohomish County.

    The ceremony will begin at 9 a.m. at Martha Lake Fire Station 21, 16819 13th Ave. W., Lynnwood. Parking will be available in the north and east parking lots of the neighboring Christ the Rock Church.

    Jacobson and Seltz have worked together for the past 14 years, mostly at Fire Station 12 east of Everett. For the last two years, they’ve been assigned to Hilltop Fire Station 22 east of Lynnwood.

    Jacobson, a paramedic, is retiring with 36 years in emergency medical service in Snohomish County, including nearly 20 years at Fire District 1.

    Seltz has been with the fire district for more than 28 years as a full-time firefighter. Prior to that, he served five years as a volunteer firefighter.

    Fire District 1 is the largest provider of fire and emergency medical services in Snohomish County, with full-time staffing at 12 fire stations. The department serves nearly 200,000 residents in unincorporated south Snohomish County, Brier, Edmonds and Mountlake Terrace.


  • Mountalke Terrace apartment fire causes $500,000 damage

    A two-alarm fire at a Mountlake Terrace apartment complex caused more than $500,000 damage and displaced 25 residents on Sept. 12.

    A resident at the Taluswood Apartments in the 4300 block of 236th St. SW reported the fire at 8:19 a.m. Flames were coming from three apartments in a three-story, 24-unit building when firefighters arrived, said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1, which provides fire and emergency medical service in the City of Mountlake Terrace.

    About 45 firefighters from Fire District 1, Lynnwood, Bothell and Shoreline were on the scene at the peak of the fire. No one was injured. Firefighters administered oxygen to one dog they rescued from a third-floor apartment that was heavily damaged by the fire. The dog, Daisy Mae, is being treated at a local emergency veterinary clinic.

    The fire was contained to three apartments. Two other units had smoke and water damage. Residents of seven other units were displaced because the fire cut off power to their apartments. The Snohomish County Chapter of the American Red Cross is providing assistance to the 25 displaced residents.

    A fire investigator determined the fire was accidental and was most likely started by a smoldering cigarette butt.

    Fire District 1 offers these safety tips to prevent a smoking-related fire:
    • Use deep, wide ashtrays on a sturdy table.
    • Before you throw out butts and ashes, make sure they are out. Dousing in water or sand is the best way to do that.
    • Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used.
    • To prevent a deadly cigarette fire, you have to be alert. You won't be if you are sleepy, have been drinking, or have taken medicine or other drugs.
    • Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children's sight and reach.


QuickLinks to Popular Pages