Important Updates:

Snohomish County Fire District 1 and the Lynnwood Fire Department consolidated on Oct. 1 to become South Snohomish County Fire & Rescue.

This website will be in transition during October to become the website for the new department. Pages should have full functionality during the transition, but some pages may still carry the Fire District 1 name until an update is complete.

If you have any issues with website use during the transition, please contact Leslie Hynes, 425-551-1243.

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Air quality burn bans and indoor burning regulations
Air quality burn bans restricting indoor burning in fireplaces and wood stoves are established by the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency.



Outdoor Burning
All outdoor burning, with the exception of small recreational fires, is prohibited in all areas of southwest Snohomish County.

What isn't allowed: Prohibited uses include burn barrels and land-clearing fires. It is also illegal to smoke out your neighbor. If they complain, you are required to put the fire out immediately. You can be fined for causing a nuisance, and you may be held financially liable for damages caused by your fire.

What is allowed: Even within the urbanized, no-burn areas, recreational fires are allowed on your own private property and in designated locations in some public parks. However, these fires are restricted to 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height. Recreational fire means “cooking fires, campfires, and bonfires using charcoal or seasoned firewood in designated areas or on private property for cooking, pleasure or ceremonial purposes. Fires used for debris disposal purposes are not considered recreational fires.”

This means that a family can have a fire in their backyard purely for enjoyment as long as it is:

  • No more than 3 feet in diameter and no more than 2 feet in height.
  • Burning charcoal or seasoned firewood.
  • Not impacting the air quality for neighbors.

If an air-quality burn ban is called (typically in the fall and winter), ALL outdoor fires (including recreational fires) may be prohibited on public and private property.

Complaints or concerns about outdoor burning:

  • If you have a fire-safety concern, call 911 immediately.
  • If you see someone burning during an air quality burn ban or have an air quality complaint, call 911 for an emergency situation or contact Puget Sound Clean Air Agency.